Icelandic(IS)English (United Kingdom)

Survey

Have you been to Icelandic farms
 
About Steindórsstaði
Steindórsstaðir are in the southern half of Reykholtsdalur valley, a little bit further in than Reykholt. The farm is 2900 hectares, plus half of the highlands of Búrfell, around 1500 hectares. The farm has been owned by the same family since 1828. Mainly it is a cow farm, with 30 milking cows and around 30 young ones. Additionally we have 60 sheeps, 8 horses, 2 dogs and a cat. Reforestry is taking place in approx. 25 hectares, and we are members of the alliance of forest farmers in western Iceland. Before we started planting there was already a small wood on the farm called ,,Imbugarður“ or ,,Imba´s Garden“, it´s first tree was planted in 1944. It was Ingibjörg Pálsdóttir (d. 11.09.2011), a former lady-of-the-farm, who planted and took care of the growing of that forest. A small amount of corn is also produced on the farm, the corn which is dried, is mainly used as food for the cows. South of the farm´s mountain range there is a small lake, Sandvatn or Sandlake, where one can catch excellent trout. But since getting to the lake is quite tricky, not nearly enough fishing takes place in it.

  •The Guesthouse

The accomodation is situated in the farm´s original residential home, built in 1937, when the old turf-house, situated on the same spot, burnt down. The fire happened in the middle of a dry season in summertime so there was no way to control it. The residents managed to save very little from the fire, except for a few things from the living room and their better clothing from one closet. Aftert the fire, the household, a total of 11 people, moved to the sheep shed where they lived for the next three months, while the first floor of the recent house was being built. You can only imagine how crowded it was for the 11 individuals when they moved into the new house, sharing three small bedrooms, one living room and a kitchen. The top floor was then added around 1950 and the first floor enlarged around 1965. Total renovation of the building was conducted from spring 2009 until the opening of the guesthouse in June 2010. A large terrace with a hot tub is situated in front of the house, there guests can relax and enjoy a view of the valley and the midnight sun, or in wintertime, a starry sky and northern lights.